Roasted carrot, apple and ginger soup
Updated: Apr 5
Roasting the veggies adds a ‘cooked all day’ taste to this soup. Silky in texture, rich in taste, perfect for your Easter dinner. Vegan, gluten free.
Hey there friends! How are you all? Sorry, I did not show up for a while! I was a bit…um…occupied and you know what? I discovered that ‘rock bottom’ apparently has a basement! Who knew!! But we can’t forget the words like “c’est la vie” and “carpe diem” etc. Can we?
So, let’s see what have we got here. Another Easter is knocking at the door, huh? Have you planned for the Easter dinner yet?
Easter is all about bunnies, and bunnies love carrots, right? So, why not start the dinner with a carrot soup? Well, it’s not any carrot soup! I used roasted carrots and apple here to achieve the slow cooked deep flavor without any slow cooking. It takes about 40 minutes tops! You already know about carrot and ginger soup I’m sure. But did you know, roasting the ginger takes it to whole another level? Try it folks, it’s legit! I’ve added a little cinnamon to spice things up and coconut milk to attain the silky, lush texture.
You need only a few simple ingredients to make this soup. And it’s really easy to cook. So, it can be a go to for any night actually!
Here’s how you make it.
About the dish :
Course – Appetizer / side
Servings – 4
Difficulty level – Easy
Recipe type – Vegan, gluten free
Does it keep – Refrigerate for 2 days. Freeze for 1 month.
What you need :
1 lb carrots
1 Granny Smith apple
1.5-inch knob of fresh ginger
2 teaspoons avocado oil (you can also use vegetable oil/oil spray)
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary *
2 tablespoons fresh thyme *
3-4 cups vegetable broth (I use low sodium)
1 cup coconut milk
Salt and pepper to taste
* If fresh herbs are not available you can use dry. But the flavor will not be as good. Cut the amount in half if using dry herbs.
For Topping (optional)
Toasted coconut chips
More fresh thyme
What you do :
1. Pre-heat your oven to 400◦F/200◦C/gas-mark 6. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or tin foil.
2. Peel carrots and cut into discs about ¼ inch thick.
3. Peel and core the apple, cut into medium pieces. Slice ginger into thick discs. You don’t need to peel the ginger. Just wash well before slicing.
4. Toss carrots, apple and ginger with 1 teaspoon of oil, ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Spread on the prepared tray.
5. Roast in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, stirring once in the middle.
6. While the veggies are roasting, put a skillet on medium heat. Coat with 1 teaspoon oil or oil spray and sauté the onions for 4-6 minutes.
7. When onions turn slightly brown, add the herbs. Sauté for 2 -3 minutes more.
8. Add the roasted veggies into it. Add 1 cup of broth. Cover and simmer for 4-5 minutes. Then take the lid off and let cool for 10 minutes.
9. Using a high-power blender or immersion blender blend the veggies into a smooth puree.
10. Add 2 cups of broth and coconut milk. Bring it to a boil and reduce to simmer. Let simmer for 2-3 minutes. We like this soup on the thicker side, like a cream soup or bisque. But you can add more broth to thin it to your desired consistency.
11. Taste and adjust seasoning. You might need to add more salt and pepper.
12. Ladle hot soup into individual bowls. Garnish with toasted coconut chips and more thyme.
Nutritional info (per serving):
Calories – 188 Cal
Carbohydrate – 25 g
Protein – 2 g
Fat – 9 g
Saturated fat – 8 g
Sugar – 14 g
Sodium – 785 mg
Dietary fiber –5 g
If you like this one, you might also wanna take a look at these :
Simple to make, complex in taste. Rich on your tongue, light on your stomach. Could you have a better show starter for your Easter dinner?
Happy Easter guys! Let’s celebrate spring!
Light, peace and avocados; from my heart to yours!
Do you have any questions? Any feedback after you’ve made it? I’d surely like to hear from you! Feel free to comment below.
3/28/2021, at 11.44 PM
True spirit of Easter... beautiful.. refreshing and soul- pleasing❤
Did I mention hyper-aesthetic😃😍😍
3/28/2021, at 10.10 AM
Thank you ! I'm glad you liked it !!