Jackfruit marinated, breaded and deep fried. Looks and tastes like southern fried chicken. Vegan, gluten free.
One thing I did miss when I turned vegan. Fried chicken! But you know what? You don’t have to feel deprived if you follow this recipe. Marinade and fry the humble jackfruit just like traditional southern fried chicken. And I promise , the result is simply magical! Well, why not find out for yourself?
About the dish :
Course – Entrée
Makes – 2 servings
Difficulty level – Easy
Recipe type – Vegan, gluten free
Does it keep – Eat immediately after frying
What you need :
1 x 20 oz cans of green raw jackfruit (doesn’t matter if it’s in water or brine)
1 cup non-dairy milk
1 tablespoon vinegar (any type will work)
2 teaspoons poultry seasoning (or you can use 1 teaspoon dry thyme)
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1.5 cups gluten free flour (I use sorghum flour. You can use all purpose flour if you’re not gluten free)
2 teaspoons onion powder
½ teaspoon black pepper
Oil for deep frying.
What you do :
1. Drain the jackfruit pieces and rinse well.
2. Mix all the ingredients for marinade in a bowl. Put the jackfruit pieces in it and marinate for 2 hours. The longer they marinate the tastier they become. You’ll get the best result if you keep them in the refrigerator overnight.
3. Mix all the ingredients for breading in a zip-top bag (a brown paper bag works too).
4. Take out the jackfruit pieces out of the marinade and put in the bag of flour mix.
5. Close the bag and shake well so that all the pieces get covered with flour.
6. With a tong, take the pieces out of the bag and put in the marinade again. Yes, we are double dipping!
7. With a spoon coat them again with the marinade.
8. Take them out and put back in the bag of flour mix.
9. Repeat the shaking step (step 5) to evenly coat the pieces.
10. Now take the jackfruit pieces out of the bag and shake off excess flour. Place on a plate.
11. Heat oil for frying until tiny bubbles start to come up.
12. While your oil is heating set a draining station. Cover a cookie sheet or tray with paper towel or newspaper. Place a wire rack on top of that. If you directly put the fried jackfruit of paper, the steam from it will make them soggy.
13. Deep fry 4-5 pieces at a time until golden brown. About 3 minutes per side.
14. Drain on the wire rack. Serve immediately with your choice of dipping sauce.
Things that go well with it :
Sweet chili sauce
Seasoned French fries
If you like this recipe, you might wanna take a look at this :
Light, peace and avocados; from my heart to yours!
Do you have any questions? Any feedback after you’ve made it? I’d surely like to hear from you! Feel free to comment below.