Cilantro coconut lentil soup
Updated: Oct 2
This uniquely flavored soup is made with only five ingredients and in 20 minutes. Sounds minimalistic? The flavor is not! Low in calories and fat. Packed with protein and nutrients.
About the dish :
Course – Entrée
Servings – 4
Difficulty level – Easy
Recipe type – Vegan, gluten free, oil free
Storage instruction – Refrigerate in air-tight container for up to 4 days.
Freeze for one month.
What you need :
4 cloves of garlic, peeled
½ cup grated coconut
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro (loosely packed)
1 cup dry red lentils, washed
Salt and pepper to taste
Juice of half a lime
1 tablespoon of grated coconut and a few cilantro leaves for garnishing.
What you do :
1. Put a small frying pan on medium heat. Dry roast the garlic cloves for 30 seconds or until brown spots just appear. Be careful not to burn them!
2. Add coconut and toast for 30 seconds.
3. In a blender, add garlic, coconut, cilantro and 4 tablespoons of water. Blitz into a smooth puree.
4. In a saucepan, add lentils, 2 cups of water, ½ teaspoon of salt, and ½ teaspoon of pepper. Put on medium heat. Cover and let it come to a boil.
5. When started boiling, add the cilantro – coconut puree. Stir well, cover again and cook on medium heat for 15 -20 minutes or until lentils are fully cooked.
6. Taste and adjust seasonings. Add lime juice, garnish with coconut and cilantro leaves. Serve hot with crusty bread or a side of rice.
Nutritional info (per serving):
Calories – 250 Cal
Carbohydrate – 31 g
Protein – 12 g
Fat – 1 g
Saturated fat – 0 g
Sugar – o g
Sodium – 291 mg
Dietary fiber – 5 g
Light, peace and avocados; from my heart to yours!
Do you have any questions? Any feedback after you’ve made it? I’d surely like to hear from you! Feel free to comment below.
10/1/2021, at 1.17 AM
Beautiful picture, soulful soup🤗💞👍
10/2/2021, at 6.03PM
Thanks a lot!
10/2/2021, at 12.08 AM
Is there any other herb I can use instead of cilantro?
10/2/2021, at 6.06PM
It's the characteristic flavor of cilantro that makes this soup. I'm not sure if any other herb can quite bring that flavor. Sorry, I couldn't be of much help!