Apple and date pudding
Updated: Dec 10, 2020
Made with apples and coconut milk. Dates are used instead of sugar. Embellished with cranberries and almonds. Vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free.
I am happy that the Holiday season is here. This year we all have been through a lot! Many of us are still fighting to get our lives back to normal. But when I see the twinkling holiday lights, the festive wreaths and large red bows, it makes me feel that maybe someday our troubles really will be miles away! Hope is a wonderful thing, don’t you agree?
I can’t think about the holidays without thinking about desserts! They are as integral a part of this season for me as a Christmas tree, or a menorah, or icicles! Talk about cookies, talk about cakes, talk about luscious puddings. Oh, yeah! Puddings. This year I’ve brought you a beautiful apple pudding which has only 6 ingredients in it and is astonishingly easy to make. On top of that, it’s refined sugar free.
This is actually my mamma’s recipe (Thanks Ma!). Try it and I bet; it’ll be a part of your holiday tradition now on!
About the dish :
Course – Dessert
Servings – 10
Difficulty level – Easy
Recipe type – Vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free
Does it keep – Keeps in the refrigerator for 5 days.
What you need :
4 medium Fuji or Gala apples
8 Medjool dates
1 x 13.6 oz can of coconut milk (Not the ‘light’ variety)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8th teaspoon salt
½ cup almonds
¼ cup dry cranberries (or raisins)
What you do :
1. Core the apples and grate coarsely using a grater or food processor. You don’t need to peel them.
2. Pit the dates and chop finely.
3. In a sauce pan, add the apples, dates, coconut milk, salt and cinnamon. Put on medium heat and cook for 20-25 minutes stirring occasionally.
4. Meanwhile, toast the almonds in a dry pan for 1-2 minutes over medium heat. Chop them into small pieces.
5. When the pudding is cooked for 25 minutes, add the almonds and dry cranberries to it. Mix well.
6. Remove from the heat and let cool. It will thicken more as it cools down. Keeping in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours will get you the best consistency.
7. You can serve it cold, at room temperature or even slightly warmed up.
Nutritional info (per serving):
Calories – 172 Cal
Carbohydrate – 21 g
Protein – 2 g
Fat – 9 g
Saturated fat – 5 g
Sugar – 18 g
Sodium – 13 mg
Dietary fiber –3 g
If you like this recipe, you might also wanna check these :
When it comes to puddings, usually renowned stars like rice puddings, bread puddings or sticky toffee puddings take the center stage. Who knew that humble apples can give them rock-stars a run for their money? Life really is full of sweet surprises. Ain’t it?
Light, peace and avocados; from my heart to yours!
Do you have any questions? Any feedback after you’ve made it? I’d surely like to hear from you! Feel free to comment below.
12/10/2020, at 8.30 AM
Oo sooo Appelicious❤❤❤
12/10/2020, at 4.37 PM
That's a good one 😃! Thank you!